You can make a difference. Policies passed in school boards, city councils, and at the legislature impact our families, our jobs and our communities. You offer a valuable perspective on what is best for Oregon.
Apply to oLcs
Are you ready to take the plunge? Apply to our 6 session labor candidate training in order to get the skills, confidence and knowledge you need to run a successful campaign. Applicants are interviewed and vetted through OLCS.
Please read below for more information.
Program Dates and Commitment
For more information, questions about the application process, or to request a training in your community, please contact OLCS Executive Director, Sara Ryan at 503-957-0306 or sara @ oregonlaborcandidateschool.org.
Portland Metro Area: The Portland area class meets one Saturday a month for 6 classes, October through March. Members throughout Oregon are encouraged to apply.
2017-18 dates: 10/21, 11/18, 12/16, 1/20, 2/17, 3/17
Check back here for future classes around Oregon, or contact Sara for more information.
Selection Criteria and Process:
OLCS seeks bright, self-motivated union members who are committed to effective and ethical political leadership. Criteria for selection to the School include:
- Active union membership
- Active engagement in your community
- Oregon residency
- Interest in pursuing public office
- Demonstrated ability to bring together disparate groups to achieve a goal
- Ability and desire to build effective networks
- Ability to articulate a personal political vision
- Demonstrated support for the Labor movement
- Demonstrated ability to inspire others
- Commitment to full participation and attendance requirements throughout the entire program
- Commitment to raising money
Oregon Labor Candidate School will review completed applications and select finalists to be interviewed by the OLCS selection committee. OLCS participants will be selected following the interview process.
OLCS participants are expected to attend all classes, raise $350 from friends and family for OLCS as part of the fundraising curriculum, and volunteer for a candidate campaign.